Monday, October 29, 2007

Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Today I finally found the time to install Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon on my desktop machine. Here's the specs for my desktop babe: Core2Duo E6320, 1GB memory, 160 GB Sata (2x80gb), Nvidia GeForce 7100 GS 256MB, and 2 Samsung 940bw 19" lcd monitors for dual-monitor setup.

I have Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn installed on dual boot with Windows XP Prof on it. I therefore have an option to either upgrade it or install a new one . I decided for the latter because it seems the easiest thing to do.

For those of you who are interested in Ubuntu, you may download a FREE installer at http://www.ubuntu.com.

Installation is a breeze and straight-forward. I have partitioned my disks in Feisty this way: 15gb for // (root), 10gb for home, 2gb for swap, so installing Gutsy is easy as I just remapped the mount points to my desire.

It took nearly 15 minutes for the whole installation. I was excited to configure dual-monitor as it is very hard in Feisty. I am surprised to find it was not that easy with Gutsy either. True, they have upgraded that with Gnome 2.2. Gutsy has Screen and Graphics option now at System - Administration menu but it wasn't as easy as I anticipated. I installed restricted drivers hoping it will work but to no avail. I installed Envy, and it did its job well of detecting and installing my graphics card but no dual-monitor still on Gutsy. Frustrated, I went looking at Ubuntu forums and haven't found anything of help.

It seems that I am left to tinkering my xorg.conf again as I did on my Dell D610 with Feisty.

Am I missing something else?

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger elmer said...

WOW! what a war machine you've got there. so envious here. :-)

11/20/07, 9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home